Saturday, January 27, 2007

Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone Road Blaster Install Guide

I received an air horn for Christmas and most of the WIB crew already have them, they are LOUD.


First of I went to NB's maintenance log and read through his install, mainly because when it comes to wiring I freeze like Texas in an ice storm. As in, everything shuts down. No thought patterns, nothing.

Fabbing up a little bracket from a flat bracket was easy enough, grabbed my channel locks (think vise) and hammered to opposite 90's on either end. I had to make the holes bigger, so I grabbed my portable vise (channel locks) and was careful not to cut my finger off all the way while the drill did its work.


You can see the bracket and mounting position, this was the easy part for me, the part you cannot see is where it attaches into the same bolt as the engine guard (which was a big pain in the a$$ to remove)


Here is a view from the front. Most likely will take a likken next time I tump over on the right side


I got to looking at the thing, and decided a little insulation from the vibes and any rocks hitting from the front might be good, so I cut out some pipe insulation to fit

So most if not all of the WIB doods hooked theirs up direct to the battery. To complicate matters for myself I wanted to connect it to my wire terminal under the seat, and ground it to my frame.


I had planned on spending some time cutting and soldering this rats nest and making it nice, but my wrenching day wound up being a lot longer because I could not figure out the wiring for a looooooooong time.

The white wire is hot which goes onto #30 on the relay. The black wire with the blue plastic is my ground attached onto the frame with my heattroller and running lights. I snaked those wires beside the frame and nicely out of harms way down to the horn.



The relay mounts right to the radiator shroud with a nylok nut. The tape I used is the old cloth type and is most likely older than I am. Hopefully it's quite water proof.

I was going to leave the original horn hooked up. I replaced the stock with a Fiamm when I first picked up Betty after we got home from OKC. It was only slight louder than stock.

Soldering some extensions onto the original horn wires and wrapping them in some cloth tape was my final decision, this way when the Stebel quits me I can just poke the wires back through their hole to the stock horn location and I am beep beeping on my merry way.


You can see the horn wires wrapped. The hot horn wire goes on the east terminal, the negative horn wire goes onto the west terminal of the relay.
The black wire is the hot back to the horn from the relay #30, and the white is the hot from the fuseblock to the relay #87 (these terminals are north and south if you look at the relay with the tab on the bottom).



The finished product has the insulation with a little cut out to allow the drain to operate forward and two BFTW's holding it fast against the engine guard.

Though I used the push on/crimp terminal connections everything is soldered so the wiring will not vibrate loose. All the wiring (though not schematically beautiful) has held fast to date in Betty's sweet innerds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes your horn works and when are you going to get the New Mexico Scout Trip done :-)